The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sepoy Khudadad Khan

Desmond7

Sepy Khudadad Khan, who has been decorated with the VC by the King, was under the command of Capt. R. F. Dill, a son of Rev. Marcus Dill, formerly of 1st Presbyterian Church, Ballymena. Captain Dill is also related to Sir Samuel Dill of Belfast. His name appeared among the recipients of the DSO in the New Year Honours.

Quote from Ballymena Observer, 29 Jan 1915.

Was this Dill - by any chance - related to the Dill of WW2 fame? Hope this is of some use to someone, somewhere.

Desmond

Can't help directly, but Dill was Irish born. His father was John Dill of Lurgan and he was commissioned into the Leinster Regt.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry - I just keep finding all these little 'Imperial Journalism' snippets going through the old files. They make my day and I am always hopeful that somebody out there in the forum will be able to make up the full jigsaw from it.

I said last night with regard to Mr. Sweeney who seems to appear in Batman like fashion - that this forum is the best multi-media, talkin' back, helpin' out forum I have EVER seen.

Sepy Khudadad Khan, who has been decorated with the VC by the King, was under the command of Capt. R. F. Dill, a son of Rev. Marcus Dill, formerly of 1st Presbyterian Church, Ballymena. Captain Dill is also related to Sir Samuel Dill of Belfast. His name appeared among the recipients of the DSO in the New Year Honours.

Quote from Ballymena Observer, 29 Jan 1915.

Was this Dill - by any chance - related to the Dill of WW2 fame? Hope this is of some use to someone, somewhere.

Des

Here is something on the N. Irish Dill's. Sir John Dill is definately included, and if you feel like "wading through" the whole thing, you may find your man too!

http://www.dill-family-reunion.org/~dillfa...t/chapter4.html

Capt Robert Forster Dill, DSO was the Machine Gun Officer in 129th Duke of Connaught's Own Baluchis, 7th (Ferozepore) Brigade, 3rd (Lahore) Division. Born 6 June 1883, educated Malborough. Married Margaret Douglas on 4 September 1913 who was the only daughter of Gen. George Farquharson Pengelly, RMA, of Bembridge House, Fareham, Hampshire.

Capt Dill was killed in action at 11 p.m. on 11 April 1915 in trenches at 'B' Sub Section, Neuve Chapelle during relief by half battalion 59th Rifles and half battalion 4th Black Watch. He is now buried at Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez. Previously buried at Vieille Chapelle Old Military Cemetery.

His name is recorded on the Romsey War Memorial in Hampshire.

Would love a photograph of him if anyone has one.

I'm up to April 15 in the old papers. I will check this week if any picture of him appears.

Thanks to all for replies.

• 1 month later...

Nice one Des.

Many thanks for going to the trouble of posting a picture.

Marc