The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Indian Army

jnorthall

Can anyone recommend a good reference work for the British Indian Army in the Great War?

Have seen the LLT website - looking for more detail.

Gordon Corrigan's book Sepoys in the Trenches might be worth a look to start with.

I heartily second both recommedations. Although similar they cover slightly different ground and complement one another.

PS I am neither author . . . :D

A Matter of Honour by Philip Mason is by no means Great War-specific, but as a refernce work on the Indian Army, it's history and background it can't be bettered.

A Matter of Honour by Philip Mason is by no means Great War-specific, but as a refernce work on the Indian Army, it's history and background it can't be bettered.

Very much agree with Steve on this - a superbly insightful book which has yet to be bettered.

• 1 month later...

Most of the material I have, or have seen, refer to Indian Army units overseas on active service but struggling to get clear picture on what was happening in India. Have posted a seperate note on this today before seeing this thread.

Steve - Does a matter of honour cover the Indian stations / garrisons also ?Have read "Sahib" by Richard Holmes and I have ordered a copy of "The Indian Army - The Garrison of British Imperial India 1822-1922" by T.A. Heathcote (ISBN 0715366351) but this has yet to arrive. Does anyone own a copy ?

Regards

Dave

Steve - Does a matter of honour cover the Indian stations / garrisons also ?Have read "Sahib" by Richard Holmes and I have ordered a copy of "The Indian Army - The Garrison of British Imperial India 1822-1922" by T.A. Heathcote (ISBN 0715366351) but this has yet to arrive. Does anyone own a copy ?

Regards

Dave

In order:

1. Yes, in the context of a general history covering the late 17th Century to the mid-20th. It is a very general history, but I would say essential reading to understand the subject

2. Yes, a typical Holmes book (and that's not meant in a derogatory way); lots of first-hand experience, but based on the red coat more than the 'native' soldier. Good, though.

3. Yes, if it's the book I'm thinking of, though I bought it many years ago, and I can't find it at the moment. I suspect it's in the loft. I recall it as being a pot pourri sort of book, and based (again) on the British and Indian Armies, rather than just the Indian. As I said, long time since I last saw it, and I might be thinking of a different book altogether.

Thanks Steve

Will follow p on the "Matter of Honour"

Regards

Dave

Dave

I suggest that your first read is General Munro's (Commander in Chief in India's) despatch that he wrote on 19th March 1919.

It was published in the Fourth Supplement to London Gazette dated Friday 25th July 1919.

It takes up ten pages of A4 paper and contains a concise account of "the part taken by India, including the Indian States, in the prosecution of the war, ..."

It includes lists of the Regular British and Indian units that were retained in India throughout the war, and of the 18 British Territorial units that similarly were retained there.

Events are described year by year, and I quote from 1915:

"During the year contingents from India were engaged in France and Belgium, in Egypt, in Gallipoli, in Mesopotamia, in South and East Persia, in East Africa, in the Cameroons, in the Aden hinterland, in Somaliland and on the North-West and North-East Frontiers of India, besides garrisons at several colonial stations."

Harry