The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ballymena Soldier

Sue Light

I've just put a post in another section about the wartime diary of Edith Appleton, a QAIMNS Nursing Sister, which has recently been put online. Few men are named, but there are occasions where the man can be identified. During July and August 1916, she nurses a young man who everyone knew was without hope, but somehow clung to life for weeks. Although not identified at first, he is later named as 'Lennox' and by his date of death, I could eventually pin him down as:

LENNOX

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 22/08/1916

Service No: 1925

Additional information: Son of James and Sarah Lennox, of Edward St., Harriville, Ballymena.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 17.

Cemetery: ETRETAT CHURCHYARD

The account of his final days is very touching, and knowing that Ballymena rears its head here on occasions :rolleyes: I thought it might be of interest - so rare to have this sort of descriptive writing of an ordinary soldier. The link to the site is below - the entries of this young man start on July 13th 1916:

Diary of Edith Appleton

Sue

A really moving account - more so because o fthe almost daily mention of Lennox amidst the pleasantries of her life.

I'm unsure from the account if she did clap her hand...?

Thanks for that Des - very good to be able to put a face to him. And a cautionary tale for trying to tie in dates of death with dates of wounding - along the lines of 'My relative died on 22 August 1916, what action would he have been wounded in ...' James Lennox, wounded July 1st, didn't arrive at No.1 General until the 13th, so had obviously travelled around other unit/s prior to that, and then remained at Etretat for many weeks until his death 6 weeks later.

'Never assume.'

Sue

I'm unsure from the account if she did clap her hand...?

The temptation must have been almost overpowering.

Sue

A better picture for you - this appeared in Ballymena Observer edition of July 7 or 14 .. it's so long since I waded through. But proves your point about linking dates of death etc.

post-1582-1206789617.jpg

Thanks Des - I'll point this thread out to Dick Robinson, Edith's great-nephew, who has put the diary online.

Sue

How good it would be to be able to find them all - we've just identified a second man, this time from the Manchester Regiment - 2 down ...

Sue