The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kitchener's Army: The Raising of the New Armies 1914-1916

Roxy

I've just ordered this; has anyone read it?

It gets quite good reviews from Amazon - via the link at the bottom of the page.

Roxy

The Simkins one?

Brilliant. My copy cost £37.50 when it first came out in 1988, and the great man signed it for me when he visited the Hants & IoW WFA in 1996.

I liked it and would definitely recommend it. I am intrigued, you say you have bought it, if the responses here had been negative, what would you have done?

Tom,

I would have left it on my bookshelf - next to the Jeff Shaara and Ben Elton!

Oops.

Roxy

I just wondered. I have a few books which when I finished them, I thought had been a waste of time. Not that many, as there is usually something in them which no-one else has. I just can't imagine having a book and not reading it. It must be the penny pinching Dundee blood in me!

This is the only definitive book to begin with. Peter signed my copy also..."to a fellow WFA footslogger."

If you want to know about the formation of the New Armies this is the place to begin. It will stand the test of time.

Stephen

Tom,

I think that you are correct. You only have to see some of the forum discussions relating to different members views of books (and indeed that author's view point) and see the feathers fly!

I will probably even get round to reading Jeff Shaara and Ben Elton - although I'm not quite sure about Shaara!

Roxy

Kitchener's Army is a great book. My only complaint about the book is that he glosses over class and class consciousness and it's impact on recruitmenmt. He out right states that the social cultural Milieu of Britain in 1914 over rode class consciousness. I think the connection between class, class consciusness, and the decision to enlist is quite complex and can't be glossed over in such a fashion. That being said Simkins had a lot to say and I think his work is an important one for those reading about the British Army in the war.

Chris