The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Andrew McEwan

mrsbruce

My Grandmother's first husband died in the First War. I know this because I have the Bronze Medalion with his name on it. I also have one of his Medals.

It's the 1914-18 Campaign Medal, and inscribed on the side is-

Pte A McEwan, H.L.I. 19507

I have also checked the cwgc web site, and this is where I am gettng confused. The only A McEwan which matches is- 34772, 8th Bn, York & Lancaster Regiment. died 28/9/1916. Son of Martin McEwan & Catherine McEwan, Husband of Elizabeth Boswell (formally McEwan), of 1 Cuddy Lane, Greenside, Yorks.

Confusing points, Father & Mother match, Wife Matches, address matches bar one point (Leith, Scotland, not Yorks), he appers to be four years older than stated on his marriage extract, and the biggie, the number is completely different.

Sorry for the long winded thread, but I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for research. Or could I be looking at the wrong Andrew?

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum

Soldiers died in the Great War shows :-

34772 Private Andrew McEwan

8th (Service) Battalion

York & Lancaster Regiment

Died of Wounds, France & Flanders 28/09/1916

Born Greyfriars, Edinburgh

Enlisted Edinburgh

Formerly 19507, Highland Light Infantry

His medals would have been awarded with the HLI as he probably went to France with them first. He would have later transferred to, and subsequently died whilst serving with, the York & Lancs

Hope this helps

Steve

Many thanks!

This is so much of a help, no-one in my family knew anything about him, except the medal & medalion, and the above definately confirms its him.

Thanks again