The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

George Graves

Guest Roobarb

Ok guys, pleasure to be here. :blink:

Im looking for info on George Albert Graves:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=907558

He served in the 3rd Bn, the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and was killed in March, 1915.

He was one of 2 killed brothers during the great war. The other, Charles is a complete mystery. (Essex Rgt)

Anyway, Ive been trying to piece together what may have happened to him but can find no info on what the KRRC was doing on his death date 2/3/1915. The date dosn't correspond to any major battle but sits shortly before the 2nd battle of Ypres!

Any help in my research ( im a complete novice) would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

Dave

Soldiers Died in the Great War :-

8334 Rifleman George Albert Graves

3rd Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps

Killed in Action, France & Flanders 02/03/1915

Born West Ham, Essex

Enlisted Stratford

3357 Private Charles Graves

6th Battalion Essex Regiment

Died, Egypt 20/09/1916

Enlisted West Ham, Essex

Residence Stratford

SDGW normally states killed in action, died of wounds or died so Charles died probably from disease or from an old wound or accident etc.

Steve

Thanks for the help guys :D

Steve, I was interested in what you said about Charles Graves. From the details you gave and a quick look on the cwgc website it would appear that he has no known grave. Is this likely to tie in with the accident theory?

Perhaps he was lost on patrol or something! I guess I'll never know!

George too has no known grave so my theory up till now now was that he was lost to artillery or something. I was just curious to know what the division was up to on the 2nd March 1915 as it appears to be inbetween battles!

One final question, are regimental diaries for these regiments likely to survive as I believe that the KRRC doesn't exist anymore?

thanks again :D

Hi Dave,

Having looked at the CWGC site for Charles Graves, he does have a grave, he is buried in plot A.8. in the Ismailia War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt. This site was used by several camps and hospitals which may mean that he died in one of the hospitals. If he had been lost on patrol, he would first have been declared missing in action and then after a period of time, usually anything up to a year, to allow for any information to be collated from Prisoner of War lists etc, he would be declared killed in action. You will need to get a copy of his medal index card and with luck this will tell you when he first entered a theatre of war and which one it was. He may well have been serving with the 1/6th Essex whilst they landed at Gallipoli in 10th August 1915.

Steve

Thanks again guys ;)

Ive dug up the catalogue for the KRRC aswell and will order copies soon ;)

So whats the deal with these diaries, are they easy to read. I am assuming that they are hand written?

Am I likely to find any additional info in there?

Cheers!

Dave.