The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Attention Bookworms!

Sue Light

A conversation with another forum member brought up the suggestion that there might be some interest here on a small ‘book-ring’ to pass round a variety of books with a Great War theme. A group would be composed of about 6 people (any number of groups could operate) and one person would start the ball rolling by sending a book of their choice off to the next on the list, and eventually round the whole group. The books could be anything at all – fiction, non-fiction, poetry, old and tattered, library seconds … anything goes as long as it has a GW theme.

Books should be read and sent on fairly quickly, and certainly within four weeks, so people joining in should be fairly disciplined in their reading habits! Not all books will suit all people, so it may be a case that a book is despatched on fairly quickly. Each book will take about 4 or 5 months to return to its original owner, and, depending on the wishes of the group, several books can circulate at the same time.

It means that over time you’re presented with a variety books which might be totally alien to you, but will relate to the Great War, and will give an opportunity to extend your reading and dip into subjects that you otherwise might avoid. Each person would have a commitment to send the book on promptly, and also to provide a book themselves, for circulation to the group, about once every year or two, or more often by general agreement. There are no restrictions about where anyone lives – far flung corners welcome.

The disadvantage is that you are at slight risk of losing your book if a member disappears or defaults, but the group will always know who has the book at any particular time, so gentle reminders can be sent (or the heavy gang, if needs be). The only cost will be that of sending the book on the next person on the list.

Perhaps anyone interested can add to this thread – if it dies a death, then I’ll know it’s a silly idea; if it proves of interest, then I’m quite happy to get it going.

Sue

It's a nice idea, Sue, but the cost of posting larger books is pretty prohibitive these days. It would work best among people who meet in person from time to time. Posting would be worthwhile for rarer books, but then they're the ones people rightly don't want to risk losing. I suspect also that many people would be put off by the prospect of having to receive and forward on some books that they didn't really want. A sub-section of the forum for posting links to free e-books would be a very useful addition, though.

Mick

I don't wish to be a dampener, but the thought of any of my precious books going except by hand to a trusted fellow enthusiast gives me the shivers.

Only a hefty deposit might mollify me, which would further drive up costs [at least in short term] so that buying the book in the first place becomes more attractive.

If in doubt about spending the 'hard-earned' on a book, I get the library to find it for me, make a decision after reading it, and often buy it later.

I don't trust anyone with books. Even those you would trust with your wife or last fiver have a different attitude towards books.

Edwin (one who nurses a grievance)

I have to say that there are books which I am loath to let out of the house, and there are those which would be prohibitively expensive to post (eg the Great War statistics volume) but there are others which I have as paperbacks - often well worn from previous owners - which would lend themselves to this approach.

I do like to idea of books chosen by others, which might serve to expand my horizons. What worries me is what I do if I particularly like a book!!! I can see trips to the bookshop coming on.

I would put forward two objections. The cost of postage. Posting 3 books might well buy me one of them. The sort of book which I have and which someone else would like to read is exactly the book I would not lend to my neighbour next door, far less pay a couple of quid to expose it to the tender mercies of the Post Office.

Sue

Instead of a book-ring what about more of a virtual dump bin. We could all list the books we have finished with and if anyone wants them first come first served for the price of the postage. I have just received 2 books from Dean for a very modest sum and am mightily impressed. If we could start one thread about this then anyone who wishes to take part could add the name of book(s) available. There would be nothing to prohibit someone getting a book from the virtual dump bin, reading it and putting it back in for someone else.

Evelyn

Books lent have a funny way of not coming back. I don't usually indulge people, even local, unless I can take hostages! :lol:

Paul

Sue

Instead of a book-ring what about more of a virtual dump bin. We could all list the books we have finished with and if anyone wants them first come first served for the price of the postage. I have just received 2 books from Dean for a very modest sum and am mightily impressed. If we could start one thread about this then anyone who wishes to take part could add the name of book(s) available. There would be nothing to prohibit someone getting a book from the virtual dump bin, reading it and putting it back in for someone else.

Evelyn

I'm sure that would be a very good idea. I've been involved with bookrings on and off for a long time now, but it's obviously a step too far for the Forum! It's really amused me though to ask whether anyone's interested, and only get replies from those who would never be interested in a million years! (except Martin, who could work his way through to the point of it all :D )

I'll sort it out from somewhere like BookCrossing, where it's a way of life!

Sue

Sue

To be fair I've never known a scholar who is keen to let his books out of his sight. In my experience scholars are as protective of their books as a mother is of her baby.

But I was interested to learn about BookCrossing. It sounds like a good scheme. During my student years we used to do something similar.

Cheers

Rab

I can see the point; there are lots of books I have read which I won't read again; not Great War books, generally (I keep them), but novels, 'other' history, bits and pieces books. I would have no huge problem with passing them on to someone else, and a virtual pal is as good as anyone. (I'm not actually convinced many of my neighbours waste time reading, to be frank).

I also have books I haven't bothered to read (The Piano Tuner being a case in point). Why anyone would wish to watse precious time wading through tosh like that is beyond me, but they're welcome to try!

I draw the line at sending the truly ghastly Donna Tartt book I inadvertently bought ( :angry2: ) when we had a Book Club at work. It weighs about six stone.....the poor old posty would get a hernia. Plus I couldn't inflict that tripe on anyone.

So if someone wanted a non-Great War book ring, I'd join that. I am sorry to be negative about the GW theme: it's just that I never know when I might want to browse something or another.

Good idea, but I don't think I could bear to let one go in case it did not come back.

I still have books on my shelf that I got when young.

If I had known then, what I know now, I would have kept the lot. A few first editions were amongst them.

But if I had of kept all them, I would need a bigger house!

Kim