The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Field Ambulance Units

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

Can anyone tell me of a method of tracing where Field Ambulance Units, and indeed Casualty Clearing Stations, were at a particular point in time? I seem to recall reading there was a book which set down such information.

Simon Bull

There is an IWM published "Locations of Casualty Clearing Stations" which is a reproduction of a contemporary list.

Much of the location information is now on the mother site at CCS Locations

It's not so easy with Field Ambulance Units though the appropriate War Diaries will usually clarify the point - they were, of course, part of the Brigade ORBAT. There are a few FAU histories published and these are usually fascinating to read.

Simon

It's "Locations of Hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations - British Expeditionary Force 1914-1919" originally compiled by the Ministry of Pensions. Copies may still be available from Ray Westlake. You will find his book list on the internet. Failing that try the IWM bookshop.

Terry Reeves

Apart from having a paper copy of your own, it is not a good buy if all you want is detail of a specific CCS as the entire detail contained in the book is on The Long, Long Trail. Striking my blow for the trees. :lol:

Apart from having a paper copy of your own, it is not a good buy if all you want is detail of a specific CCS as the entire detail contained in the book is on The Long, Long Trail. Striking my blow for the trees. :lol:

I have been reading this thread with interest as my granddad was taken out by a Field Ambulance due to Influenza in June 1918

However, I am a little lost as his casualty record states he was taken to CCS 56 on 23.06.18, which is shown as being in Amiens at this time (on the Long Long Trail), but my records also show that he was taken by 148th Field Ambulance, and I can find no trace of this on the Field Ambulance listing. I see that it goes up as far as 147 and then into the 200's.

Any ideas on 148th or where I could find any info on it would be much appreciated.

Dee

.........strengthening the viewpoint that Mr. Baker provides the most comprehensive and valuable resource for the Great War on the net...........

Information on 148th Field Ambulance can be found at the National Archive (Kew) in the War Diary for the unit at WO 95/3106 - which "piece" covers parts of the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division. This should provide some answers.

Which Unit was your grandfather serving with at the time?

Martin

Martin

According to the Casualty Form - Active Service, he joined 2Rm Bn in Belgium on 16.11.17, then transferred to IFD? 101d 2Rm Bn in Belgium on 28.04.18 and was taken out by 148th Fld Amb in France on 22.06.18.

Dee

Martin

According to the Casualty Form - Active Service, he joined 2Rm Bn in Belgium on 16.11.17, then transferred to IFD? 101d 2Rm Bn in Belgium on 28.04.18 and was taken out by 148th Fld Amb in France on 22.06.18.

Dee

Sort of wished I hadn't asked, but I assume 2nd RM Battalion means 2nd Royal Marine (Light Infantry) who were with 188th Division at the time. This all tallies up with 148th Field Ambulance and the RND.

From 4th June to 23rd June the whole division were in rest at Toutencourt and from 23rd were in the line in front of Auchonvillers close to Hamel on the old Somme battlefield in the Ancre valley. Your date of 22nd June 1918 is interesting as (according to the RND history) this was the day before they went from rest camp back into the line. It could be a stray shell, munition or whatever or the dates may have been confused.

I have a feeling that you probably have enough outline information gathered together to consider a trip to the NA at Kew (the archive formerly known as the PRO) to look through the RND Divisional; brigade; battalion and field ambulance war diaries for the period to piece this story together.

Have you obtained his service record, which I presume is held at the FAA museum at Yeovilton. There is a lengthy waiting list and I think relatives have some preferential treatment (in cost or time - or both). I have some contact details for Yeovilton if you need them.

Take a good look at the mother site for details of the 63rd division (link to long long trail at top of the page).

Martin.

Martin

Thanks for your help with this. I do have my granddad's service record, I also have most of his conduct sheets. The only problem is that the conduct sheets & casualty service record don't tally with his service record (I will have to investigate that one further).

I have planned a trip to Kew on 19th April (on a different thread), but as I can only make it for a day will probably not have time to look at the RND stuff as I am trying to get more together on my gran's side of the family (William Flint and George Worthington) as she is not very well at the moment and I want to gather as much on them as I can for her.

Will no doubt be going again when work and finances allow though. :rolleyes:

Dee