The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Command or Control?: Command, Training and Tactics in the British and

bmac

Not yet read it, have it on order. Wonder if anyone who has read it has any views they might share, especially any references to material that has come out since which might rebut his views?

Thought I recognised the author. I haven't read it myself, but was struck by one of the (typically waspish!) endnotes in Paddy Griffith's "Battle Tactics": "Compare M. Samuels 'Doctrine & Dogma' for a still more sustained attack on British officer quality, albeit one based mainly on Simkin's work on 1914-15."

In the bibliography of "Battle Tactics" he describes 'Doctrine & Dogma' as "a book about German stormtroops rather than about British tactics, but which is unfortunatley blind to the many defects in the German 'system'. One should not attempt to contrast German theoretical principles with British battlefield experience."

A different work, yes, but you get the general drift of Mr Griffith's analysis. Caveat emptor ...

bmac, I read it about 5 years ago. Recently re-read it again. The book is dated in many regards. It contains quality information about the German General Staff. Additional insights can be gained from Mombauer, Echevarria, and Foley's works. I don't know as much about the development of the British General Staff. Samuels appears to have been very selective in his review and comparison to the German GS. I don't doubt the veracity of the quotes he has selected, but I have seen material that suggests alternative perspectives.

The biggest problem that I had with the book, both then and now, was the over-emphasis on German successes versus British failures. The converse are conspicuous by their absence. Terraine and Griffiths offer a different perspective on the British performances.

No-one has written about the failures of stormtroops, for example in Operation Friedensturm.

The book is useful but needs to be read with a degree of scepticism.

Robert