The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Lack of Offensive Spirit?

Roy Evans

I just can't resist items that are discounted so have ordered my copy :rolleyes:

I'll give you an enormous discount on my kids if you'd take them off my hands!! :D Talk about high maintenance! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the order BTW

I have just visited the updated site and liiked at the gallery for the fallen of the QVR on 1/7. There amongst the small no of images was Harold Hornsby Cocks. I have his trio and have visited his grave on a number of occasions. Know I can see what he looked like. Very moving. Than you. Its never how you would imagine a person to look like. It makes you realise just what lies behind the medals...a man. Bmac could you e mail the image to me or would that breach copy right? Would love to have a picture to place with his medals.

Sorry for the diversion and kind regards. Cant wait for the re print. I will order.

Regards

TT

TT

Certainly can. I have it as a tiff file which is a bit bigger but also better quality. PM me your email address.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested in either the revised edition of Pro Patria Mori or A Lack of Offensive Spirit? both books should be available as from the week beginning 18th August. I have switched printers and the process has taken rather longer than anticipated so sorry to the three or four people who have ordered copies of LOOS? You should have it by the end of that week. I will be adding a Forum members' discount offer for the expanded version of PPM to the web site soon and will advise of the URL as and when.

Thats great Bill I'll order mine as soon as you let me know its available.

What's the Loos book you mention ?

Mick

ah, I got all excited there !

still, I'm after a copy of Pro Patria Mori.

Mick

• 3 years later...

This one of the best books i have ever read on the great war the detail is very in depth and it is also very well written.

Stuart Wortley is treated fairly and the whole book is a great testiment to all of the brave lads of the 46th division.

jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

Bought it a couple of years ago when I first seriously started researching relatives missing there. It's an awesome piece of work and as a result draws me back to that innocent looking piece of ground every year since.

Interesting comments about Dan Snow's grandad in the visitors book this year.............

Interesting comments about Dan Snow's grandad in the visitors book this year.............

Do tell....

Roger

Not sure if I should publish them on here so I have sent you an email

Jeff

Jeff

Email received thanks!

Roger

Jeff,

Just sent you a PM. I would be interested in the comments having researched Lt-Gen Snow.

Regards

Arm

Given the appalling stitch up of his great grandfather General D'Oyly Snow perpetrated by Dan Snow and others in the shabby BBC documentary 'My Family At War', which was first broadcast on 4 November 2008, perhaps we ought not to be too surprised that some of the more credulous have been fired up to make 'interesting comments' in the visitor's book.

George

Dan Snow :wub::wub::wub:

OK I have checked with a Mod and the feeling is that as the comment is already in the public domain , ie the Visitors Book, I am merely relaying its content and not offering an opinion or accusation.

" Dan Snows grandad did in these boys, hope you and your dad enjoy the TV money "

That's it, chinstrap done up tight and head well down below the parapet..............

Sounds to me to be on a par with the eejits who deface CWGC registers with 'Why?'

OK I have checked with a Mod and the feeling is that as the comment is already in the public domain , ie the Visitors Book, I am merely relaying its content and not offering an opinion or accusation.

" Dan Snows grandad did in these boys, hope you and your dad enjoy the TV money "

That's it, chinstrap done up tight and head well down below the parapet..............

Good of you to post it, Jeff. I heartily agree with Ian's comment (while also agreeing with the sentiments of George's post!).

Simon