The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Osprey Books

Old Tom

Hello,

I have just become aware of this company, having stumbled on a display in a local book shop. I flicked over the pages of one on a western front 1914-18 campaign. The diagrams were clear and the book looked interesting, albeit a little expensive. The company have a catalogue on Ospreypublishing.com.

Old Tom

I find these books really good on a variety of subjects. Just enough in formation to get you interested, well illustrated and make you want to go and find out more info.

I have hundreds of them, and I mean over a hundred on my shelf.

regards

Arm

They are a staple in the wargaming/military modelling hobbies; as Arm says, they do run to expensive when new, but they turn up on e-bay and sites like Abebooks as well. There are several tranches, but all adhere to a very strict formula of a certain word-count, number of illustrations, number of photos and bibliography. My copies of the British and German armies of WW1 have been reprinted endlessly since the 80's.

At a recent militaria show here in Canada a fellow had a large selection of them at $5.00 each, or five for $20.00; needless to say, I came home with a nice batch of them, covering every topic from Sopwith Pup Aces to the Alamo!

Cheers,

Terry