The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ypres Trench Maps

MartinWills

The first issues in the WFA / IWM series of map DVDs have been available from the start of this month. The first three comprise:

1) Haig’s Maps – I

2) Official History Maps (See separate review)

3) Ypres - a double DVD set

The releases cost £25 each plus £1.50 p&p (per disc) – reduces to £20 plus p&p for WFA members

I started by looking at the rather disappointing Official History Maps set (see earlier review). This review looks at the Ypres set, which is probably the most attractive of the three issues.

The issues take a fairly basic format unlike the earlier issues from Naval & Military press and the more recent Great War Digital issue which has been much discussed elsewhere on this forum. The discs provide a lot of background information, map indexes, mapping reports, guidance on map reading etc all of which are both useful and interesting. The core of the issue, however are the maps and a range of photographs which cover the area around the Ypres salient or “Square 28” as those used to trench maps will know the area.

The maps and photographs are provided as simple jpeg (.jpg) files which you open in whatever software you normally use to handle files of this type. It is, therefore, easy to crop and manipulate the files if you so desire. The downside is that you need to navigate the discs to find the files; there is no “front end” though the supporting documentation and links to indexes are provided through a simple html “front end” which you navigate in your default browser. Whilst for some this may be a disadvantage it should be remembers that the aim of the series is to provide an accessible resource at an affordable price.

The standard of scanning and reproduction is excellent. Maps generally appear bright and legible and can readily be cropped, annotated etc with the software of your choice. Many of the files are truly large and therefore cannot be opened in very basic software. If you do not have any image manipulation software the disc sets include the ermapper viewer which you can load for free. One word of warning, however: if you use any of the Naval & Military map discs loading this version (7) of ermapper requires that you delete any previous versions such as those provided with the Naval & Military discs. If you choose to use your own image manipulation software you may still find that memory requirements may limit your ability to manipulate larger files.

There are no restrictions on printing (other than the copyright stipulations) and I have to say that maps printed out to A2; A1 or A0 sizes look absolutely excellent. Equally, cropped sections look fine on A4 or A3 printers.

Enough of the technicalities, what of the maps?

There is a truly enormous range of maps covering the whole of the area and representing different dates and phases, making it easy to follow through the development of different areas of the salient through the war. Looking at the list of maps on the two discs in this set is quite frightening and any user will need to take some time to assess what is included. There are numerous successive editions of maps together with special issues, annotated versions matched to particular events, a number of the more unusual “secret” maps with unit details or both allied & enemy trench systems; maps of proposed barrages, some “message” maps, topographical maps and more besides.

In addition there are a range of aerial photographs, some vertical and some oblique; some with associated maps.

I could go on, but for anyone who has an interest in mapping of the Salient, whether a pure mapping interest or driven by a need to explore the events of the war or the involvement of particular units or simply to identify a set of map locations this set is a very affordable resource. It may lack some of the sophistication of other sets, but at the price you can hardly argue – it makes for an exceptional resource at an exceptional price.

Quite simply, whilst it is hard to recommend the Official History Disc, this set of maps is truly excellent - especially at the price.

Martin

Thank you for the interesting and informative reviews.

Do you know where these can be purchased? I have looked on the WFA site without success.

regards

John

Thanks for the link. Looks like it's time to raid the piggy bank again!

Thanks Michelle

Your link certainly works. Still find extremely difficult to find it by searching the WFA site. For some obtuse reason thought it might be in the shop!

kind regards

John

If you are starting from the WFA front page - you need to go into the map room.... from there it is fairly straightforward

Squirrel, if you are raiding the piggy bank I would definitely give the Official History Maps disc a miss - as my separate thread reviewing this points out it does not even include all the loose Western Front maps from the official history - something the WFA (and IWM) ought to think through a little more carefully I think. I should have added that a number of the official history maps relating to 1st Ypres are included on the Ypres set.

If you just want to sample the titles I would suggest starting with the 2 disc Ypres set.

I've now spent several days perusing the Ypres set and keep on finding more and more interesting bits and pieces as I go - and I've still only looked at a fraction of the maps in the set.

Any folks who are not WFA members wanting to buy one or more of the titles might want to consider joining and putting the £5 per set that they save towards that membership fee!

Glad you all found the reviews useful. Must start on the Haig's Maps title next!!!!

Regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived within 6 days of ordering, superb collection of maps but worth it imho for the aerial photo's alone. Agree with Martin that it takes a while finding one's way around but all the more fascinating for that. A big thank you to all involved.

Ken

I have the Ypres set which I am happy about. One downside is that the 400+ maps have codes as filenames. So I have copied them to my hard disk and printed out the file which tells you that MA_000181 or whatever is Zonnebeke to 25 August 1917 at One in 10 thou etc. I am now labouriously renaming each map but keeping the code at the end of it. In that way I will be able to put all the mainly Zonnebeke maps in one folder. Langemarck in another etc etc.

Ther was some discussion about the WFA maps at the WFA AGM yesterday. I put the view that, in view of the Association's large cash reserves, as a benefit of membership they should be offered at a lower cost. I may be alone in this and I know that the contents are not available elsewhere, but am I alone in feeling that they should be cheaper to members? I reckon at £10.00 each the market could be far far larger.

David

I'm with you; as a member of the WFA I'm not keen to spend £20 per set, but would spend £10 on some of the sets.

Dave

The market would be even larger if they were free!!

The reserves of the WFA represent around 3-4 months worth of expenditure so I personally don't see them as large - and they are in line with their stated policy on reserves (although I understand this is due to be reviewed).

While I, as a WFA member, would have been more than happy to pay less for the CD's other WFA members, who are not interested in the maps, could argue that not charging a realistic price for these products is acting against the best interests of the charity (and I would have to agree with that view).

What is viewed as a fair price for these products will obviously vary from person to person - some wouldn't buy them at a tenner others will think they are well undervalued at the current price. It is interesting to note that N&MP seem to have considerably reduced the price for their WW1 CD's of various map collections. I don't know if this is because of the WFA products coming on the market but N&MP are now charging £30-£50 so the WFA maps are still very reasonable in that context.

Neil

Gents

Not wishing to state the obvious, but with zero copy protection in place, the argument is irrelevant.

They are in fact free anyway.

Guy

Just ordered mine - and would not be tempted by cheaper pirated versions. Only I would be hacked off if they subesequently reduced prices, effectively levying a 'tax' on the more serious students of WW1 who got in early.

Edwin

Sending my order for Ypres tomorrow.

Bernard

Hi ,I may be telling you old news but is anyone aware of the release date for the new IWM trench map cd.I notice the old ones with 175 maps is on sale at a reduced rate,but the new one should have approx 700 maps

regards

David

In regard to price, I think it is only fair to charge a going market price. It would appear that the price asked is a good price. That said I am yet to order, funds being what they are, but would add if they were £10 (a very below mkt price IMO) I would have ordered a Ypres set and the Haig artillery maps!

I am still likely to order the Somme ones when they came out regardless of funds! Sssh don't tell Mrs Arm.

regards

Arm

Hi all,

ordered my Ypres set and received the double DVD within a week. Excellent service and superb value for money. Front end a bit unfriendly, but works. Although this morning I'm damned if I can remember how to search down to the one photo I want. Did it successfully last night. Must have been the aid of the Islay malt.

Interesting points. Does not seem particularly happy running on 'Vista' and gave me quite a few program not responding moments. Much more stable on my old PC running XP. However on both computers and both operating systems found difficulty in accessing photos 'at the end of the list' ie Messines P_019909 which seemed to cause no end of hard disk thrashing about, whereas photos near beginning of list came up immediately. No shortage of memory. New laptop has 2gb.

Len

Mine arrived today; very quick service! BUT:

Having tried three times I have yet to get the disk(s) to work. DVD light thrashes about but nothing appears on screen. Laptop is largely unresponsive while this is going on - can't get to 'my computer' etc. I let it run in desperation for 20 minutes and still nothing on screen. Even control, alt, delete takes ages to kick in.

Reasonable spec on the laptop - 1gb RAM, Pentium M740 dual core etc.

Any ideas? I'll be sending them back if no joy by Tuesday.

Bernard

Initially my DVD drive on my PC would not read the disks. I tried on my laptop -no problem. I then linked a spare external DVD drive to my PC and it read them OK

For any Mac users out there, the Ypres Trench Map discs work very well with the Mac Preview program, the zoom function is very impressive. I have not examined everything on the 2 discs (there is a lot) but so far it looks good.

Kevin