The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Haig's Artillery & Situation Maps

MartinWills

WFA/IWM Map DVD Series

Haig’s Maps – 1

This is one of the first three titles to be released by the WFA in there series of Great War map DVDs.

I’ve already reviewed the other two. The Ypres volume is a tremendous and invaluable resource whereas the Official History Maps volume is somewhat disappointing, not least because of it’s lack of completeness.

Each disc provides raw files (as large jpg files) which you can crop, manipulate etc in the software of your choice or with the free ermapper viewer included on the disc. In addition there are a useful and substantial and number of documents common to all discs covering mapping in general. Those choosing to use ermapper should be aware that it is a later version than that provided with the Naval & Military Press map discs. Installing the newer viewer required that the older version(s) are deleted so if this is the case you may want to find out how to run the version you already have to view the new discs so as to preserve your ability to use the Naval & Military discs. Some very basic image software may struggle to cope with the large file sizes.

The series does not provide a sophisticated front end or GPS alignment as other offerings such as the Linesman based offering or the Naval & Military discs. It does provide a wealth of resource at a very accessible price.

This disc contains 11 selected artillery & situation maps used by Haig during the war. These are huge maps made from mainly from regular series trench maps cut into panes and pasted onto a linen background (one, I believe, is just on paper).

The largest map measures virtually 9ft by 12 ft and the smallest is around 4ft by 5 ft. They have, therefore, been scanned into a series of segments (or tiles) for detailed viewing together with a “pasted together” reduced resolution version of the complete map. Scales vary from map to map.

The maps included cover:

June 1916 – The Somme front

June 26th 1916 – 3rd Army Heavy Artillery Positions & Arcs – centring on Arras

July 2nd 1916 Somme situation map as reported to GHQ

April 6th 1917 1st, 3rd & 5th Armies (Bethune – Bapaume – centered on Arras

June 7th 1917 7, 9, 10, 11 & 2nd Anzac Corps Artillery Map from Staden to Lille centred on Ypres & Armentieres

July 31st 1917 Belgian, French 1st Army and British 2nd & 5th Army artillery dispositions covering Nieuport to Armentieres

August 15th 1917 La Bassee, Lens & Arras with 1st Army artillery dispositions including 1st, 8th, 9th & Canadian Corps

September 20th 1917 Dixmude, Ypres & Warneton with Artillery dispositions for 1st French Army, British 2nd Army and British 5th Army

October 26th 1917 Nieuport, Dixmude, Ypres & Messines with Artillery dispositions for the Belgian Army; French 1st Army and British 2nd & 5th Armies

August 8th 1918 From north of Albert to south of Montdidier showing artillery dispositions following the attack of 8th August for the French 1st Army and British 3rd & 4th Armies

September 27th – 29th 1918 covering Arras, Cambrai & St Quentin (it measures a huge 274 by 356 cm) showing artillery dispositions for British 1st, 3rd and 4th Armies.

Only 11 maps, you may think, but these are huge and cover the Western Front as the British Army knew it at most of the key points in time from June 1916 onwards. In one purchase you will have trench maps covering almost any part of the sector from Nieuport to Montdidier at one or more points in time.

This issue is clearly of fascination to anyone who wants to analyse Haig’s perspective at key points in time. Similarly it is a fine resource for anyone who wants a set of detailed maps covering the whole of the Western front as the British Army knew it from 1916 onward. It will not provide detail of changes throughout the period, however. For that you will need to essay the individual sector issues in the series (Ypres now available, two Somme discs in preparation and others to follow).

At the price of £25 (£20 to WFA members) plus p&p of £1.50 per title this is both a bargain and an excellent resource. Details are in the map room at the WFA we site.

LASTLY - I challenge anyone to print out and assemble the last map "full size" !

This is clearly an excellent resource - I was wondering what level of detail and type of information is given, does it show individual battery and OP locations? Are they annotated with the unit identities? Friendly or enemy - or both!

Alan

Martin,

As said above do these show battery locations, as indicated by the 'title', or are they more operations maps to show Haig a large view of the intended areas of attack etc.

As an example if I zoomed in on say Fricourt on the 1st July 1916 map would I see a similar view from a 'normal' trench map of the same date, trench names etc, with no additional information, or do they carry other information, intended artillery fire coverage?

Question clear as mud I guess!

regards

Arm

Alan,

The maps are Haig's and essentially just show key British elements (and German trenches) in many cases just the British Front Line is shown and they are made up from trench maps pasted together as a matrix.

The 1916 Somme maps tend to show corp and divisional sectors and the German Trench system

The June 1916 Somme map shows gun/battery location, gun size & corps (but not specific unit or OP)

The June 26th Map shows heavy artillery positions

The 31st July 1917 Artillery map again shows Army and battery location/gun size OR individual guns where appropriate

Hope this helps.

Andy,

They are essentially large scale operations maps showing Haig the resources to hand - individual batteries are not generally named.

Your "muddy" question is so much clearer than mud - and so is my answer. You will find maps for June 1916 showing the build up and preparation and for July 2nd 1916 showing the situation as reported. There is not a map actually dated 1st July 1916 of Fricourt or anywhere else.

As usual able to shoot holes in my question, however the answer is what I was after. I meant for the July Somme attack not necessarily the date (and yes I know, why didn't I say that then!) but if I was to then zoom in to a particular area would I find the normal detail.

So they are in many respects vastly larger versions of the basic map the lower ranked officers would have had with more 'important' information added by GHQ.

regards

Arm

Martin

Many thanks indeed - very clear and off to raid the wife's piggy bank - if I can find it .............................

Coupled with other information I have on the batteries I am interested in I should be able to sort quite a lot out; but in any case the overall detail will be extremely valuable.

Thanks also for your very useful reviews of the discs.

Alan