The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tommy

crawfordb

Tommy. This is an extremely well written account of one man's experience of the First World War. Tommy Crawford's story may not be unique, but he tells it in such a powerful manner that he brings the events he describes vividly to life. He recalls not only the grim realities of war but also the pride and comradeship he found in the Army, which made him reluctant to re-join civvy street.

The poems that appear at various points are reminiscent of Kipling in the way they express the sentiments of the ordinary soldier, obviously based on Tommy's personal experiences, but universalized to include those of 'Tommy Atkins'.

The book is as much a piece of social history as it is an autobiography, revealing much about the attitudes of servicemen and the civilian population to the war and also serving as a poignant memorial to the many men of the Durham Light Infantry who did not return. Highly recommended to forum members.

Dawn suddens up

and still I hear the crimson chorus of the guns

Look! like a ball of blood the sun

Hangs o'er the scene of

wrath and wrong.

Quick! Stretcher-bearers on

the run!

Oh Prince of Peace! How

Long, how Long?

A poem by Thomas Albert Crawford

Book is available from Woodfield Publishing and can be contacted on 01243-821234 http://www.woodfieldpublishing.co.uk/index1.html

Royalties from the sale of the book is donated to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

I found it this time on the site. I wondered if you could enlighten me as to his time/period of service and thus the time he spent in france that is covered in the book.

regards

Arm

I see from your other post that it would appear that the answer to my question is Loos to 3rd July 1916.

regards

Arm

Arm,

Tommy (Crawford) lied about his age and joined up in September 1915. He arrived just in time to take part in the battle of Loos. He served for less than a year but in that time took part in the battle of the Somme. He reached Fricourt prior to having his right finger shot off and head wounds on the 1st July 1916. He survived all this only to lose his wife from cancer, his two sons, Tommy of Polio and Jack of cancer - both 37 years of age. On the 5th September 1950 Tommy married a nurse who took care of his wife (Vera). They had two sons, Colin and Brian. Colin died at 28 years of age in 1980.

Regards,

Brian

And so when he reached my bed, the General made a stand:

"My brave young fellow," he said, "I would shake your hand".

So I lifted my arm, the right, with never a hand at all;

Only a stump, a sight fit to appal.

"Very well, now that's too bad! Thats sorrowful luck," he said;

"But there! You give me my lad, the left instead."

So from under the blankets rim, I raised and showed him the other;

A snag as ugly and grim, as its brother.

He looked at each jagged wrist, he looked, but he did not speak;

And then he bent down and kissed me on either cheek.

You wonder now I don't mind, I had'nt a hand to offer;

They tell me (you know I'm blind) Twas Grand-piere Joffre.

Grand-piere Joffre - poem by Tommy Crawford

• 3 months later...

Received my copy today, ordered 1/7/08, a little slow I think !

Stand by for a review.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mick hope you enjoy it - sorry they took so long to get this to you. Hopefully the best things are worth waiting for!

Brian

Received my copy today, ordered 1/7/08, a little slow I think !

Stand by for a review.

Mick

Brian,

Just finished the book last night, I enjoyed it very much. I kept thinking that my relative must have witnesses some of the earlier incidents, and the lead up to the battle of Loos that is covered in the book.

Mick

Thanks Mick, glad to hear you enjoyed it. My father was an extraordinary man and so tragic that he was to survive WWI to lose his first wife, two sons, and then my brother at 25 which was just too much to bare and he passed away in his early eighties. I hope this book is a fitting memory not just to him but to the boys who did not return. Brian.