The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Digging the Trenches - The Archeology of The Western Front

Moston

Digging the Trenches - if you have not got it, go and buy it!

A superb book that was a pleasure to read.

Well done to all involved!

Cheers

Alan

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I received both Digging the Trenches and Killing Time in the mail in the last month and I agree both are well worth the money. Digging the Trenches includes moving accounts of the recovery of 4 fallen soldiers in the last years. Killing Time documents the recovery of several mass graves of both German and British soldiers on the Somme.

I look forward to spending much more time with these books in the coming weeks.

John

Any more details on when the programme will be shown on TV?

Haven't read either book, but have written an early letter to Father Christmas!

:D , Tis not even my Birthday yet. 24th Oct!! B'day drinks at St. Asaph me thinks B)

Neil

• 2 months later...

I am in the process of reading the book now and have enjoyed it so far. I don't want to get too personal about Robertshaw (I have formed an 'opinion' about him from his programmes which may be unfair) but he has made two comments so far (I am on page 90) about internet forums. He doesn't name them but he is quite defensive about comments that have been made directed towards his group. I think that he has to realise that if he puts himself forward publicly, particularly on TV, he has to expect people expressing opinions about him.

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading this book and I found it provided an interesting look at what seems to be a flourishing area of Great War study.

I don't think I would buy it but a good one to take out from the library.

I was slightly disappointed that the authors didn't go into greater details regarding the individual fallen soldiers they found....That area of the book was by far the most interesting in my opinion.

PS. I have also just read the book 'Killing Time' by Saunders and there is some overlap especially with the individual soldiers found.

Much of his book concentrated on the various types of Trench Art.

I have to say Saunders' book was far 'drier' and read more like an 'academic' book.

Useful I'm sure but not as much fun to read.

get yourselves to birmingham university tommorow, (depending on snow!) to hear andy, Martin, Alistair Frasrier ect discussing this very topic

matt

get yourselves to birmingham university tommorow, (depending on snow!) to hear andy, Martin, Alistair Frasrier ect discussing this very topic

matt

Matt

I'm there (hopefully - as I'm driving up from MK) - wear something distinctive so I can recognise you!

Cheers

Brian

well hopefully my faily bald head and goaty beard will help...gry/black jumer that zips up

need a copy of the times roled up realy!

matt

but do say hi, if all can make it, John bourne said tonight he hopes so It will be good

Very good! If I can find my GWF badge, I'll wear that!

Brian

ok i'll look out for it!

matt

although looking at the time you should have left b now! weather looking ok here!

matt

Well if Brian made it he did not appear to have found his GWF badge, or if he did I was blind!!

Regards

Arm

Ps fantastic day, really informative and thought provoking.

Can you possibly give us a bit more as to the details/topics please? What did you find thought-provoking? Would have loved to attend :(

Diane

Dianne,

The first speaker was Andrew Robertshaw. In essence he spoke not just of Archaeology etc, but the percieved ramifications of the 'dig'. I am not going to be able to get anywhere near explaining what he said, but as an attempt he tried to describe the different feelings that are generated at Digs when remains are found and how it is seen by different nations and then individuals within the nations. If you like 'ownership' and should they be left where they lay, or dug up, attempt an id and then burial in a CWGC or equivalent cemetery.

As I say a poor attempt to explain what he so brilliantly brought across.

The other speakers covered such as Gallipoli and what goes on there. The use of Archaeology techniques in analysis of the Malins Somme film and ability to id some of the men in the film and lastly archaeology at home and its remains still around us from WW1. Again all these are basic simplifications of the great breadth covered.

Regards

Arm

Arm

That sounds as if you were spellbound and thoroughly entranced. Thanks for the abridged version. Were there any papers/docs given?

Diane

Too bad they did not record it on DVD and then could sell/distribute the talks to interested parties such as myself.

Ralph

Sorry no papers or DVD's etc. However in regard to the Malins talk there is a book due out re the research/work done on that. I think it is due around mid March this year. It debunks much of the 'staged/fake' claims to all but a few bits. But also covers work on working out where the film shots were done and who appears in the shot.

It is called 'Ghosts on the Somme'

regards

Arm

Is this talk going to be repeated, i.e. is a talk that will do the rounds ?

Mick

Not to my knowledge. It was 'put together' by Dr John Bourne, Director of the Centre for First World War Studies at Birmingham University. The centre has a few day schools each year. It may be possible to hear some of these individual talks at other places but I am afraid I can't advise any help there!

regards

Arm

I stand corrected a little....

Speaker programme for the Heart of England branch WFA has Nov 11th meeting 'Ghosts on the Somme: film and photography of the great battle' by Andy Robertshaw. A speaker I can not recommend enough. He is up their with the best for content and delivery.

Regards

Arm

Well if Brian made it he did not appear to have found his GWF badge, or if he did I was blind!!

Regards

Arm

Ps fantastic day, really informative and thought provoking.

Arm

I was halfway up the M1 when I realised I had forgotten the badge (doh!) - but did get there - I was down in the 2nd row pretty much in the centre. I was also talking to Matt Lucas at the coffee breaks & lunch.

And you are right, it was a fantastic day & definitely thought provoking. June 20 is already in my diary.

Anyone else going to Oxford on 28 February?

Speakers are Nicholas Saunders on trench art, Richard Osgood & Martin Brown on Messines, Peter Chasseaud on mapping, Neil Faulkener on Lawrence of Arabia and Jon Price on the missing. (I think someone may have said yesterday that it was already sold out.)

Brian

Too bad they did not record it on DVD and then could sell/distribute the talks to interested parties such as myself.

Ralph

I guess a possible alternative would be to audio-record them in future and put them out as podcasts. But you would obviously miss out on the visuals which all four used & referred to.

Brian

It was 'put together' by Dr John Bourne,

Small world....

Dr Bourne was a tutor of mine when I was studying History at Birmingham around 1990.

I didn't study the Great War as an undergraduate but his expertise in that period was well known.

Remember him as a top guy, not at all stereotypical 'academic' and an avid fan of a certain potteries football club!

Nice to see he is still going strong and involved in a subject close to his heart.