The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Casualty Figures How Five Men Survived the First World War

John Gilinsky

"Casualty Figures: How Five Men Survived the First World War."

by Michelle Barrett March 2008

Verso

ISBN: 1844672301

Has anyone read this book?

What are your views per the author's methodology, sources and conclusions?

Thanks,

John

Guest mbarrett

Verso

Thanks,

John

I'd be interested to hear what you think yourself about your question.... I'm happy to talk about it.

Michele Barrett

Verso

Thanks,

John

John,

Regret I've not seen the book but always interested in a 'medical' book......can you give a brief overview of what it is about?

If I went back 15 years to when I had the misfortune to do some statistics at evening classes the book sounds to me like a probability study.......

Thank you author and cherry for your responses. I just bought this book but interestingly enough one of the Canadians was an English immigrant who died very young in England only a few years after the war. The approach is quite interesting if very daunting (hence my questions regarding methodology). Many factors influence health and mortality. The presumption that "shell shock" is a significant cause or major contribuatory factor in mortality may be quite misleading given the innocence, ignorance, naivete and "political correctness" of the military and both military and civilian medical personnels' direct involvements both during and after the war regarding mental health issues to mention only a few potentially saliently influencing mortality factors. Hidden diagnoses, misconstrued diagnoses and activist socially consciously aware medical practitioners attempts to shield "malingerers" or other concerns all played significant roles. Nevertheless the micro social history attempted in this book is a refreshing reminder of how personal and hence likeable social history is after being politically somehwhat discredited by the past 3 decades or historical reactionary revisionistic influenced conservatism.

John

John,

Regret I've not seen the book but always interested in a 'medical' book......can you give a brief overview of what it is about?

If I went back 15 years to when I had the misfortune to do some statistics at evening classes the book sounds to me like a probability study.......

John,

Consists of 5 Imperial War Museum mainly based officers mainly with one or two other ranks who survived physically the war but whom the author contends all sufferred from "shell shock" in one form or another. Includes a study of the chief mo othe RAF from the 1920s onwards as one of these 5 men. NOT statistically based.

John