The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Letters of Lieutenant R.G.B. Jeffreys

Conor Dodd

• 4 months later...

I picked this book up whilst on holidays and I must have missed this thread earlier in the year. I have just finished reading it and although a small paperback book of only 80 odd pages I found the content of some of the letters quite interesting. The letters of Lieutenant Colonel Jeffreys, as stated in the review above, must be looked at as written from the point of view of an upper class officer, however they do convey a sense of what life was like for him at least when in the trenches.

I found two especially interesting comments, the fact that he goes out of his way to mention that staff officers were very active indeed in his part of the front line, which goes some way to dispelling a myth previously generally accepted that they did not get to close and also that prior to one particular attack, Lesboeufs, he issued orders that no German prisoners were to be taken, and ammunition was not to be wasted. He then mentions Robert Downie VC, perhaps this could go at least someway to explaining Downie's enthusiasm. The action written by Jeffreys as part of the war diary, of the attack at Lesbeoufs, was an added bonus for me, Downie was actually born less than a mile from where I currently live.

Overal a very worthwhile contribution to the literature and history of the Great War, especially if you have an interest in the Dubs, and something which I think the co-editors Conor and Liam Dodd should be congratulated on for bringing into the public arena.

Regards, Tommy.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply it is much appriciated, and I am glad you enjoyed the book, it seems to have done what we hoped it would and given you an insight into the life of Jeffreys and the Dubs in the trenches.

Thanks

Conor