The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Frome, Somerset, area, soldiers who died

BottsGreys

This notice may or may not prove beneficial to anyone, but I recently picked up a copy of a book "Frome's Fallen Heroes (The Great War)" by David L. Adams cpyrt. 2000. I'm sure there are more learned Pals who could debate the merits of this book, but it seems to have been a labor of love for the author, and I have found it fascinating reading. The author uses information from sources such as: CWGC, SDGW, local memorials, library, and period newspapers to compile a thumbnail sketch memorializing (roughly a paragraph) each of over 450 men from Frome and surrounding villages in eastern Somerset who died during the Great War. I will do lookups in the book for anyone is interested in a serviceman who might have a connection to the Frome area.

Chris

hi Chris. This sounds like a great book. I don't suppose it ventures as far afield as Taunton does it? If so, I'm interested in Pte 1250 William Phillips, 2/1 West Somerset Yeomanry, died on 23 Feb 1915, buried in Taunton. I'm guessing he just died of an illness rather than anything war-related, as his regiment hadn't gone overseas at that point.

Pat

Hello Pat,

I wish I could help you, there are 6 Phillips' in the book, but regrettably, your man isn't listed. As you suggested, he may have been from outside the research area. Best of luck in your quest for information. Hang in there.

Chris