The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Last Post

eyman

Could anyone give me an opinion about this book compared to his "Forgotten Voices"? In particular I'm interested in the coverage on Arthur Marshall, Essex Yeomanry. I know he is covered in Last Post, having skimmed it in an airport book shop last week. Is the Last Post text on him different from or longer than any entry in Forgotten Voices?

Many thanks for any response

Ian

Ian, why not do the right thing and examine the original at the Imperial War Museum?

Thanks, Chris

Not so easy when I live 200+ miles away and my job doesn't allow frequent visits to London!

Ian

I can't speak as to the specific chapter but the difference as far as I can see between Last Post and Lost Voices is that it covers the life of each subject in full detail, not just the Great War.

The chapter on Surgeon Tom Kirk, RN is my favourite.

I can't speak as to the specific chapter but the difference as far as I can see between Last Post and Lost Voices is that it covers the life of each subject in full detail, not just the Great War.

The chapter on Surgeon Tom Kirk, RN is my favourite.

Jane

Thanks for your advice. I'm off to buy a copy now!

Ian

I love last post, but then again I'm into the social history of the war. It's a fascinating account, but at times you wish that more details were given. A great read if you are into the real soldiers stories. I can't compare to Forgotten Voices as I'm only in the middle of reading it now!

Ive read both forgotten voices and Last Post. Forgotten Voices was excellent, I really enjoyed it. However I found Last Post a little tedious at times, it wasnt written in a very involving way, at times it just felt like an essay. What was nice and stands out to me in Last Post though, is one of the men in it went out to meet the soldeir coming back from the Boer War when he was about 8 years old, and one of them gave him a piggy back. Funny how that would stand out in a man's mind for 90 years., something poetically sad about it.

Ian,

Remind me, is Arthur Marshall "Smiler"?

A great character.

Ian,

Remind me, is Arthur Marshall "Smiler"?

A great character.

Indeed. And in my brief skim of the book he mentions that he was groom to an officer whose medals I have and I think refers to an NCO whose TFEM is in my collection. I will provide a proper posting for the group when I've got a copy of the book

Ian

Indeed. And in my brief skim of the book he mentions that he was groom to an officer whose medals I have and I think refers to an NCO whose TFEM is in my collection. I will provide a proper posting for the group when I've got a copy of the book

Ian

Ian,

inspired by your post I started re-reading my copy last night. Enjoying it!