The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

NEW BOOKS APRIL

David Filsell

A slightly thin period for review copies but the following have been recieved this month

The Germany Army on Vimy Ridge 1914 - 1917, Pen and Sword, Jack Sheldon.

All the positive comments on Jack Sheldon's new book on the Forum are justified (and then some). I think this is actually the author's best book so far. As well the German side of facing the British (Canadians), fascinating coverage of actions when facing the French (1914 &15) and an excellent outline of German tunneling activities. All this before we even reach the Canadians. A must for any serious student of the Great War.

Kitchener's Men: The Kings Own Royal Lancasters on the Western Front, Pen and Sword, John Hutton (MP).

Launched last week at the MOD by the PM who said it was "A brilliant book"; its not that and lacks a roll of honour, awards list or even any references and notes. Gordon Brown added that he thought "courage is the greatest of all virtues" - I wanted to shout hold that thought , but thought better of it. Editing of Hutton's text could have been improved too. However it is an honest work by the MP for Barrow and Furness, written with honourable objectives and committment. His interest in the subject was aroused when he first stood for the constituency and talked to constituents who had served with the battalions. Leans on war diaries and (I suspect) local papers) and letters. It covers 4th 7th 8th and 11th (Bantam) btns. A further work will cover other local volunteer bns. Overall a valuable addition to the growing list of bn historys.

The Zebrugge Raid, Pen and Sword, Philip Warner.

This is a straight hard back reprint of the original 1978 edition of the work by the late and highly prolific (to prolific?) Warner. He interviewed veterans in its preparation. Zebrugge is not very well documented and this has long been considered the definitive work. (A quick abebooks check showed that there is no shortage of much cheaper used editions of the book available out there.) The only mystery is why Pen and Sword published it in hard back and not cheaper paperback. Coming, I am promised, but not yet seen, is another new Zebrugge book, from The History Press. If Zebrugge is your bag it might be worth waiting to compare both on the shelves. I will add comments about it when (if) recieved)

Seduction or Instruction: First World War Posters in Britain and Europe, Manchester University Press, Jim Aulich and John Hewitt

An academic exercise and slightly up its own academic fundament, but beautifully produced with wide range of excellent colour and black and white reproductions and well worth its £25.00 price tag. An interesting read on a fascinating subject and a wonderful book to leaf through for the joy of the reproductions of British, French, German and Austro Hungarian posters.

If posters are of interest - a must.

On the second-hand front, and therefore totally irrelevant, I have just found a copy of On Two Fronts by Corder Catchpole - what a wonderful name. Catchpole was a Quaker who served with the Friends Ambulance Service. After its disbandment he was called-up and refused to serve because of his pricipals. He was imprisoned and treated very badly - having served with the Friends Ambulance he was also awarded the Mons Star. Copies are fairly rare and I am pleased to have found it. Post War Corder Catchpole and his brother both I understand worked in Germany to alieviate the results of the British Naval blockade. Quite a hero.

That's all folks! Feedback more than welcome.

Best regards

David

Thanks David.

Bernard

David

Thanks for that. Glad you have got hold of the Catchpole book, which is most interesting as the viewppint of a Conscientous Objector. He was, of course, adjutant to his Firends Ambulance Unit, but resigned when conscription was introduced so that he could be called up and then refuse to become a soldier. At his final court apearance the Bench found it difficult to get their heads round the fact that he was wearing the Mons Star!

Charles M