The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Shamrock Battalion in the Great War

tommy mcclimonds

Author - Martin J Hogan

Edited by James J Cooke

Originally published in 1919

Reprinted in hardback by University of Missouri Press, Columbia & London @ £15.95.

I picked this book up on a whim in Queens University Bookshop Belfast recently when collecting "Carsons Army - By Tim Bowman & General Nugent by Nick Perry" and although I haven't finished reading it yet I thought I would make members aware of its existence.

It records the recollections of Martin J Hogan as part of the "Shamrock Battalion" of the famous Rainbow Division. To quote the blurb "the Third or Shamrock Battalion had a part in ever fight, and those who survived had more wound stripes than did the soldiers of any other company in the American Expeditionary Force. Few soliders saw a much of the war in eighteen months as did young Martin Hogan, and in this stirring account he tells of his experiences with graphic power, humility and humour".

I must say that I would agree, certainly of what I have read so far, which is about about half. A few well known Great War figures (probably more well known to our colonial cousins) get brief mentions, Father Francis Duffy and William "Wild Bill" Donovan. All in all quite a contrast to Carson's Army and Nugent but a good read none the less. I certainly don't even begrudge paying the £15.95.

Tommy

PS: Some forum members more interested in the American contribution to the Great War may know the editor James Cooke better as the author of "The Rainbow Division in the Great War, 1917-1919".