The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books wanted for research

eviltaxman

Hi folks,

I've been contacted by a visitor to the forum who's trying to research her Gt Grandfather who fought & died at Gallipoli. She came across a thread I was involved in a few months ago. I can help out with a few of her requests, but she's interested in obtaining a book on the 6th in Gallipoli. Aussie Btn's leave me cold.... wouldn't know where to start :blush:

Does anyone know of any particular book(s) that might help? It's just so she can get an idea of what was going on with the 6th Btn in that theatre.

I know the campaign lasted a while and many books covering it wouldn't be much help, so I've included the Gt Grandfather's details below (to hopefully help you pin down a good book).

Name: JINNETTE, HERBERT

Initials: H

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/08/1915

Service No: 1775

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. E. 10.

Cemetery: BEACH CEMETERY, ANZAC

Thanks in advance,

Les

There is always the Aus Official History available as a free pdf download from the awm website

You might also want to try the battalion history!

I don't believe there was one published after the war, but there a couple of more recent volumes by Ron Austin and published by Sloch HAt Publications.

Blurb as follows:

BOLD STEADY FAITHFUL

Ron Austin AUD$30.00 (INTL AUD$27.28)

The History of 6th Battalion, The Royal Melbourne Regiment 1854 - 1993. The traditions of the Australian Army stretch back as far as 1854, when this regiment was formed as a result of the Russian scare and the Eureka troubles. The book traces the unit's history over 140 years, including its involvement in both World Wars. Among its illustrious members are men who rose to general rank such as Julius Bruche, Gordon Bennett, Roy Gordon and Pompey Elliott. Hard Cover, p322.,Photos, index, includes some long service medal rolls and officer lists

ISBN 0646152947 First World War, Second World War

More specifically concentrating on the Great War there is

AS ROUGH AS BAGS

Ron Austin AUD$50.00 (INTL AUD$45.45)

The history of the 6th Battalion, 1914 - 1918. A Victorian battalion which saw service in Egypt, Gallipoli, France & Belgium. Its most famous commander was Gordon Bennett, who achieved some noteriety when he escaped from Singapore in the 2nd World War.Hard Cover, p394. Photos, maps and index, Medal & Nominal Rolls

ISBN 0646086006 First World War

I assume you have the records from the AWM site and Australian National Archives (eg service record). I believe he died of wounds received at Lone Pine.

Martin,

Those are great - many thanks. Hopefully Annie (my new bestest pal in Oz) will find these titles useful.

I'll pass the word on.

Thanks again,

Les

Slowly but surely, the AWM are loading the WW1 diaries online. It will be a great help to those from other countries whose ancestors fought in the AIF.

Our National Archives are to be commended also, for the work they are putting on line.

The diary, when matched to his records, should be able to help you place his whereabouts on Gallipoli.

Cheers

Kim

PS. Good on you for helping the visitor.