The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Passchendaele

Messina1915

A few years ago, when I was too young to properly appreciate the contents, I took a book on Passchendaele out of the library. I can't remember the title or author, and it's no longer in the library (at least not the edition I would recognise).

I do remember the cover: it was beige, very light brown or some similar colour with a poppy on it, as far as I can recall. I've searched Amazon for books on Passchendaele, but quite a few don't have a cover picture, and it's not one of the ones that do.

Would appreciate knowing which book it was, if anyone can help.

Cheers,

Carole.

Sounds like the one by Philip Warner. I can't find an image of the hardback d/j but am sure that had a poppy on it.

Many thanks Paul :)

Have put it on my reading list for when I get back from holiday.

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole,

I would imagine it was 'They Called It Passchendaele" Lyn MacDonald. ISBN 0 333 52971 5.

Bob.

post-12738-1210510562.jpg

Could be that one indeed - never seen that d/j myself! Only the 1st edn with the Cross of Sacrifice on it.

Bob,

I'm not sure if that is it - as I recall, the poppy was the only picture on the cover of the one I was looking for - and having read the blurb for Paul's suggestion it sounds a more likely that that was the one - as I recall the book, it wasn't Lyn MacDonald's style, but I might be wrong.

Cheers,

Carole.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished reading They called it passchendaele. Great book. It was my dads. Its not a hard cover. isbn 0 333 36067 2

Don't know if this helps.

Yvette.

post-33254-1211563666.jpg