The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Two new books on Great War Postcards

Moonraker

I don't think these have been mentioned before, but following last evening's outage I've had to rush through lots of new posts, and now the Forum search engine seems to be on the blink. See

here

for two new books published by the Oxford University Press based on postcards from the John Fraser Collection held by the Bodleian Library, Oxford: Postcards from the Trenches and Postcards from the Russian Revolution.

I heard about these on Radio Four's Today programme on Monday morning at 6.40; by coincidence, that day I was making one of my occasional visits to the Bodleian and enquired about the UK content of the collection. I was told that a trainee and a volunteer are cataloguing the collection and they will get back to me in due course.

The cards are housed with the John Johnson Collection of Printed Ephemera and I infer that even my Bodleian Library card won't give me access and that I would have to produce a letter from authority vouching for my seriousness. (I hope that the cover-all letter that I got a librarian to write for me eight years ago will still hold good.)

Moonraker

May be interested in both but especially the book of presumably mainly Russian pcs on their revolution. However the link that you give under Here does NOT work.

Well better back up on the saddle and try harder!

John

I checked the link after posting and it worked then; I've just Googled "John Fraser collection Bodleian" and the link to the Oxford University website didn't work. Try

this one instead

Moonraker