The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th Battalion the King's (Liverpool Regiment) 1914-1918

daggers

This book has been mentioned in a couple of earlier posts, one saying that it is on the web in Project Gutenberg. I found a copy today in the 'New Books' shelf at my local library, and see the original publication date was 1922. This edition is from Leonaur Ltd, p/back, ISBN 978-1-84677-173-6. The hardcover version has 3 as the last digit in place of the 6.

At the end there is a list of decorations awarded to members of the Battalion ranging from DSO & Bar to MiDs, via a few French, Belgian and Russian awards.

Does anyone know more about the author?

Leonaur list a wide range of reprinted military titles. I have no connection and had not heard of this publisher until today.

Daggers

The book is available to order from many 'print on demand' sources, mainly in the USA. I have found it on ABE Books site listed at various prices (all for new, hardback prints) varying from extortionate to remarkably cheap).

The author, Enos Herbert Glynne Roberts was from Birkenhead. He qualified as a solicitor after the war and practised in London.

For those interested in the awards to the battalion, they are listed on my website CLICK HERE [shameless plug]

Ken

Ken

I thought you might know about this book. I have had a longer biog. note on EHG Roberts from another source, of which I may 'leave' a copy tucked into the library book when it is returned, as the re-publishers did not see fit to tell us about their author.

Daggers

It is indeed available - for free, or at the cost of a donation should you wish to make one - from Project Gutenberg. I have downloaded, reformatted and printed a copy off myself, but there is no information about the author on the Gutenberg site.

Original editions of the book do come onto the market now and then. I have three or four on my bookshelf.

I will eventually get round to putting a full biography of EHG Roberts on my website. I have a copy of his service papers, a number of photographs of him, and I recently met a member of his family.

Ken