The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Reminiscences of a Grenadier

Steven Broomfield

I picked this up in Winchester at the weekend. Published by Gale & Polden in 1965 - Privately Printed fot eh Author - it appears to be a reprint of a book first published in 1921.

The author started the war as a civilian, joining the HAC in August '14 (on payment of his 2 Guinea entry fee), and was in France by the end of September. He was commissioned into the Grenadiers Guards in April '15, and served the rest of the war with them, mostly with the 3rd Battalion.

The book (I haven't read it yet) appears to be an easy read, but scanning through it i see quite a few well-known names appearing. It's 119 pages (so not a large book). For £15 I thought it was worth the wrath of 'er indoors.

Anyone heard of it?

(I've started a separate thread in 'Soldiers' to see if anyone knows more about the gallant Major).

very scarce in its original printing!

regards john

• 9 years later...

Having read this book some time ago I was surprised by the many references to Carrol Carstairs author of 'Generation Missing' who served in the same battalion. Sadly Fryer does not get a mention in that book. As  with quite a few memoirs written in the early '20's it is a very straight forward account free from the 'woe is me' writing of later years.

I found the book a bit boring to be honest . Much detail on which company attacked when and how etc ,  many officers and places mentioned , but

lacking in the personal details of life in and out of the trenches which I personally enjoy reading about.

ps  £15 was a bargain , it normally sells for £40-£60 now

Edited by Black Maria

He only gets 'one-liner' mentions in the war diaries. Arrived 31st May 1915 with 2nd Bn. Transferred to 3rd Bn on 2nd Oct 15 and wounded on 28th Sep 1916 and rejoined on 31st May 1918.

No mention in 1st Bn or 4th Bn diaries.