The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Years of Combat

Waddell

I stumbled across a tidy copy of this old book saturday morning in a lifeline (second hand) bookshop. Had to purchase as an SE 5a on the cover.

Have any forum members read this one? Any comments? Looks like it's written in an easy style.

Two dollars well spent?

Regards,

Scott.

Still on my shelves, although its a long time since I read it. Indicates at least that it was worth holding on to.

You realise you'll now have to hunt out the second volume: "Years of Command", don't you?

Thanks Gentlemen,

I'll take your remarks as a recommendation.

Regards,

Scott.

It is, indeed, written in an easy style and is most interesting when he is talking about his experiences. I found the filling-in history bits tedious and eventually decided to skip them so that I could concentrate on what I wanted about his flying life.

With best wishes,

David

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who recommended this book. I Finally finished reading it the other day. My overall impression is that this is a pretty good read. I started on it at the same time that I was having another go at “Goodbye To All That”. I’ve had several attempts at Grave’s book but find his school days a real chore. Little wonder that GTAT was put back on the shelf once I started reading this.

Lord Douglas is pretty clear about his views on war histories that are written by people who were not there years after the events in his introduction to the book. So what you do get in this book is a very clear and ordered view of the life of Major Douglas prior to the war, during the war and immediately after the war. I enjoyed his writing style and the impression it leaves being that he would have been a pretty reasonable and down to earth man.

I enjoyed reading of his scraps with Immelman, Boelcke, and Goering. The latter of whom he not only also fought against in the Second World War but interestingly was on the panel of his trial at Nuremberg. There are some great insights into Mannock, McCudden and Ball as well.

I learnt a fair bit about the development of ground attack aircraft and also of the development of flying formations and tactics. Interestingly Lord Douglas had a lot of praise for General John Monash and the Australian staff and soldiers whom his squadron supported during the advances of 1918.

He was also a more than ardent advocate of the SE5a.

All in all a good read from a man whose future was well and truly shaped by the war. Thanks to all who recommended it.

Regards,

Scott.